Electrical Fire Burns Workers

A 35-year-old Anderson, IN, worker died from burn injuries after an electrical fire started in a service room at a new Wal-Mart store in Bloomington.

Scott Shelton and two other contractors were working on an electrical panel when a piece of metal touched the panel, which was live. It was reported that approximately 12,000 volts of electricity started a fire in the room. Shelton’s two co-workers were also burned, but they survived.

Whenever work is performed on electrical panels, or when machinery is being repaired or maintained, employees must ensure that the power is shut off and locked out.